Sunday, April 18, 2010

Half The Sky, Turning Oppression into Opportunity For Women Worldwide

April 18, 2010 I finished Half The Sky, Turning Oppression Into Opportunity For Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. This is one of those books when you first look at it you think it will be a boring, preachy, book trying to depress you about the world's problems. I wouldn't have picked it up except my sister gave it to me. I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG. This book is well written, combining facts with research and real women's stories. It opened my eyes to the complex problems of women forced into prostitution, of rape, maternal mortality, of women with Fistulas, and of genital cutting. The book's authors have traveled extensively and talked with the mostly rural, uneducated women and their problems. A great section in the end lists ways to get involved and web sites to look at. I definately recommend this book to anyone who has read Three Cups of Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment