Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan

Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan
Book 1 in The Saga of Darren Shan

This is a Vampire book for Younger Readers. I decided I wanted to read the book after seeing the movie The Vampire's Assistant. The book is the first of 12 books in the series, the Saga of Darren Shan. The Vampire's Assistant is actually the second book in the series--the movie covers more than the first book. I actually didn' t like the movie. It was campy and the effects were really stupid, plus toward the end the plot seemed muddled. I wanted to see if the books were better.

The movie follows the book fairly closely. There are some differences. I did like the book better. The author tried to make the book kind of creepy and for a young reader it probably would have been a bit creepy. I thought the freak show, Cirque Du Freak, was stupid, but I liked the main character, Darren and his interactions with his friends, parents, sister, and the vampire. I'm intrigued enough that I will probably read the next book.

I would recommend this book for grade/early middle school boys. I also think it would be a lot of fun for a parent to read aloud to a child at Halloween; parents of boys that are reluctant to read especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment