Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

This was one of my book club's picks; I never would have decided to read this on my own.  I couldn't relate to the entire first half of the books, so it was extremely annoying.  I have always wanted to be nothing more than a wife and mother (An old time view in this day and age).  I have always viewed my jobs as a means to an end, not the end itself.  I consider my life's work to be raising my children.  So it is with this life view that I was reading about a woman who didn't want children and wanted to spend a year traveling.  Did I mention that after four days of vacation I start longing for home?  Her description of her divorce was a lot of reading like poor, pity me, poor, pity me, etc.  I kept thinking that it was so nice for her that even after an expensive divorce that she still had the money to travel around the world for a year.  Italy was interesting.  India was hard to get through (I do not sit still well unless I have a book and don't have much interest in meditation), but I'm glad I kept reading, because the final third of the book was wonderful.  Elizabeth Gilbert is about the opposite of me in probably every way, but her discussion of seeking happiness for your self, being in charge of your own happiness, and growing closer to god WAS interesting and worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment