Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two new Young Adult books

I just finished two really great Young Adult books--Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan and Virals by Kathy Reichs.  They were both really good!

In the Immortal Beloved world Immortals are born to Immortal Parents.  The story focus on 400 plus year old Immortal who spend the last 400 years partying to forget what happened to her when she was 10.  Her life takes a dark turn and she finally seeks help.  The heroine is spunky and interesting.  The first chapter was a bit hard to get into, but then it really took off.  I like reading about someone who has been around for 400 years learning to do farm chores on the organic, rehab farm; learning about her magical abilities; and possibly finding love.  This is the first book of a trilogy.  This is not at all like the other Immortals series out there.  I think I like this one better. 

I have read several of Kathy Reichs' books and they are always good, so I was very excited to read her young adult version, Virals.  It has some science, but now that it is for a younger audience, it is easier to get through.  I like the science geeks, but not nerds angle.  The kids investigate a murder and along the way are exposed to a virus and start to gain abilities.  Interesting, well written, and fun.

Parents note:  Both books had nothing I wouldn't want my 13year old to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment