Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life Changing Reads

The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn

This is a compilation book of monthly newsletters written in the 90's by Amy Dacyczyn.  I heard of it from a co-worker back when I was working full-time, but is wasn't until several years later that I began seriously reading it.  At that time, I quit my full-time state job so my husband could pursue an opportunity to further his career.  Needless to say, money was tight.  Reading The Tightwad Gazette completely changed the way I think about spending, saving, and consuming.

We live in a consumer, throw-a-way culture, but we, as individuals, do not need to follow along with this corporate driven model.  The author is pretty extreme about her cost saving measures, doing things I would never do like rinsing out and reusing sandwich bags and aluminum foil, but the book opened me up to a completely new way of thinking about spending.

It is not always easy and I sometimes find myself straying and spending unnecessarily.  That is when I need to reread and strengthen my resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment