Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Moon Handbooks

Preparing for Vacation by Reading!

This is the time of year when my thoughts turn toward summer vacation.  When I start planning a vacation, I always reach for Moon Handbooks.  They are by far my favorite.  I like the way the information is presented, the quality of the information, but most importantly...The Resource Section. 

The Resource Section contains a list of recommended books and sometimes movies relating to the area.  I love this!  What better way to prepare for a vacation?  I recommend selecting one or two movies and at least one fiction and one non-fiction book.  See if any of the recommended books are available on CD so the whole family can listen to it one the way.  Get the kids involved too.  There are a plethora of children's books about states, study the map, see if there are any child friendly selections on the list. 

Last year, we went to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  We watched two movies from the Resource section before hand.  I didn't have time for much reading, but I did a quick review of a couple books.  While in Marquette, I picked-up Anatomy of a murder by Robert Traver from the Resource list.  (The movie based on the book staring Jimmy Stewart is one of the two we watched.)  I am finishing this book now and my thoughts on the book will be coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment