Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

I knew about the writer, Pat Conroy, because he is a best selling author, but I was most familiar with him because of the movie, The Great Santini,  based on his book.  Over  the summer my book club read his book, South of Broad and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  So when I saw My Reading Life on the Library shelves, I had to check it out.

Mr. Conroy is such an eloquent writer, I found the book very readable and fascinating.  I, of course, adore books, but to read how a famous author describes his love of reading was a revelation.  The chapters about his writing process were interesting.  The book inspired me to branch out, to try reading books I have not considered before or dismissed.  It also inspired me to read War and Peace.  I read Anna Karenina when I was pregnant with my first Child and I have always aspired to read the great War and Peace.  I think it will be my summer selection for 2011!  (Summers are when I do my heavy reading.)

Finally, as a mother, it inspired me to work harder to introduce my children to classic literature.

Note:  The Great Santini is one of my Dad's favorite movies and I have seen it several times, but I have never read the book.  A situation I plan on rectifying as soon as the book comes in on hold at the Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment