Saturday, April 14, 2012

Old Fashioned Money Saving



I'm not a big fan of Super Couponing.  My money saving method is to try not to buy commercially prepared food.  It is amazingly expensive for what you get.  It is much cheaper to make homemade food and go without things like frozen dinners and mixes.  The time spent searching the Internet, planning, and clipping could be spent making something.  The extra benefit is that your food will have a lot fewer preservatives and chemicals.  Yes, coupons for things like trash bags and bathroom supplies help and I do clip coupons and use them, but only for things I already use.  Usually, the generic brand is cheaper than the name brand even with a coupon anyway.

For Example:

I purchased a spiral cut ham for Easter for $18.00.  We ate or will eat it for the following meals:

Easter Dinner
3 Ham sandwiches
6 Ham salad sandwiches
Split Pea Soup, (easily 2 dinners and 2 lunches)
Quiche (1 dinner, 1 lunch)
Scalloped potatoes with ham, (1 dinner, 1 lunch)

All those meals for $18.00!  That $1.00 a meal.  (yes, I realize the other meals require more ingredients, but it is still amazingly inexpensive)

I do that once or twice a year.  I also do a similar thing with turkey.  These kinds of meals were the kind of meals our grandmothers made.  With food prices so high, we can't afford to waste.

I also made egg salad out of the dyed Easter eggs.  Delicious homemade food and cheep too, it doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment