Saturday, May 12, 2012

Monarch books 2012




In grade schools and libraries across Illinois you will find displays of Monarch Award books in the Children's section.  These are books voted as being notable for grades K-3.  The lists always contain a good variety of books; something everyone will like.  Schools make a special point to try to read books from the list to the children throughout the year, but the list contains 20 books and schools just can't read all the books to the kids.  The schools usually have a special recognition for those children who did read all 20 of the books.  The new lists come out in the spring.  The reading usually starts in the fall when the kids come back to school.  I just finished reading all 20 books to my son (2nd grade).  It took me longer than I had hoped, because I took breaks from the reading to read books to him that he really wanted me to. (If you have been reading this blog, you know some of those books were quite lengthy.)  I am so glad I made the effort.  They are great books!  While my son wasn't thrilled when I pulled out a Monarch book, he always liked them, some he even loved.  So when your kids go back to school grab a list (usually available at the library) and start reading!  You and your children will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment