Sunday, August 3, 2014

Montana Vacation - Day 6

Day 6

We had a wet night in the tent.  Being in the mountains, it rains pretty much every night and as we discovered, our tent can't really handle it.  In the morning, I tightened up the fly and laid out our sleeping bags to dry, but we really need a tent made to handle a lot of rain. 
We drove to the Many Glacier area of the park.  We parked at the Many Glacier hotel, a beautiful structure build in a Swiss Chalet style, which opened in 1915.  We hiked around Swiftcurrent Lake.  It was an easy 3 mile hike.  It was a wonderful hike with lots of wildflowers and stunning views. 

Yes, this is living.  I could have sat here all day!
After our hike, the kids and I were hungry and tired.  We didn't sleep well and just needed to refuel and relax.  The guys, of course, were all set to go on a longer, more strenuous hike.  We parted ways.  The kids and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon at the hotel.  We ate lunch, read in lounge, checked out the gift shop (note to self--don't forget the stocking caps next time.  It gets COLD at night here.  I found a really cute, wool, Sherpa cap for Morgan.), and sat on the balcony and just enjoyed the view. 

After we met back up with the guys, we headed to our favorite, reservation taco stand for dinner.  After eating, Hubby's friend, again, went back to the camp site and the rest of us headed to the St. Mary's visitors center for an evening program. We watched members of the local Blackfeet Indian tribe sharing their culture, dancing, and singing.  It was amazing!  Hearing a recording or video of these events is NOTHING like seeing them in person.  The beat of the drum and the singing really speaks to you on a very basic, emotional level.  Add the beautiful costumes and amazing dancing and it was spectacular.  I didn't take any pictures, I didn't want to miss a moment of it, plus it seemed to me to be disrespectful to do so, but I found this picture on line.  This is similar to what a 6 year old boy wore when we did the chicken dance.  He was amazing!

Another day flew by.  It was late when we got back to the campsite, but not too late for a fire and s'mores.  Having food outside made the nervous, but we were very careful and cleaned everything up.  For #1 son, it just wouldn't be a camping event without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment