Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Dance with Dragons, A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5 by George R.R. Martin

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)

I finally finished this one all 959 pages!  I actually started it a year or more ago and stopped about half way through.  What's the hurry I thought, it's not like George R.R. Martin is going to release the next book anytime soon?  I originally wanted to read the book before I watched the show it was based on, but that didn't happen, finally I decided that I was going to finish it during summer break. A problem I had reading this is that it is just so HUGE!  I had trouble holding it upright while reading in bed and it was too heavy to bring to appointments and on trips, so it sat at home unread.

I love this series!  I love George R.R. Martin and his complex, detailed wonderful world!  I do wish there was a bit less misogyny, but I do understand that it is a medieval world and like our own medieval history, women were treated that way.  It doesn't make it any more pleasant to read about however.

Anyone who enjoys the show should read the books, they are so much better.  There is so much in the books that they just couldn't put on screen.  Well worth the time spent reading it.  This book represents, for me, why I read.  It takes us away to a different, time and place and immerses us in a detailed, interesting story.  I spend a lot of time just thinking about the story--a true sign of a good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment