Saturday, August 5, 2017

Self-Help Read! You are a Badass--How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero


You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
I picked this book up at Target on a post-Christmas shopping trip.  (Yes, that does, in fact, mean that it took me 7 months to read.)  The New Year's timing and the catchy title both caught my interest and I fell prey and picked it up.  I was, of course, in that New Year's self-improvement mood and thought that I should try to make some positive changes in my life and the book would be a good place to start.  I took a while to read this book for several reasons, one is that I intended to take it slow.  I wanted to think about what she wrote and maybe have a chance to internalize the suggestions before I moved on.  

I both liked and disliked the book.  I liked the love your self theme and think positive thoughts advice that are the main stay of each chapter.  I disliked the new age Source Energy prosperity doctrine.  A lot of the Source Energy advice reminded me of what Christians are advised to do by preachers every Sunday in church, just substituting Source Energy for God and Jesus.  I don't believe we all are willed by God to be rich or that everyone can be rich or that everyone needs to be rich to be happy.

In addition, a lot of the advice seemed like the same old advice handed out since Normal Vincent Peale wrote The Power of Positive Thinking in 1952, just presented in fun, hipster, quirky way.

In the end, not a total waste of time, but not quite what I hoped it would be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment