Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Sleep Solution, Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It by W. Chris Winter, MD

    The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It

 In my family, out of the four of us, only my daughter sleeps well. I knew the importance of good sleep for both physical and mental health and wanted to make some positive changes, so I picked this book up.  I was immediately impressed--it is funny and presents the scientific information in an easily readable, interesting way.  I was wary though, because a lot of nonfiction books start that way and quickly become wordy and boring, but not this book.

     If I was concerned about sleep before, I really am now.  The author really stresses how important sleep is to our health and in ways that I didn't know about.  I work in an elementary school and I see day after day, children coming to school with HUGE black and red tired eyes.  I've seen children sent home from school because they kept falling asleep in class.  Parents need to know the information presented in this book and structure their children's days so they can get the sleep they need.  This does also apply to adults, so many adults don't want to follow a routine be disciplined enough to do what needs to be done to get a good night sleep, but then they complain they are tired.  My advice--READ THE BOOK AND FOLLOW W. CHRIS WINTER'S ADVICE.  It will change your life.

     Before I read the book, I had a home sleep study and was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea.  While I was reading the book, I started CPAP therapy.  I can not stress what a difference therapy made in my life.  I spent years in a tired fog, struggling to get through my days.  I feel so much clearer headed, I no longer wake up with headaches every morning (I thought it was allergies and went through years of, probably unnecessary, injections.) and have the energy I need to, not just get through my days, but to enjoy them!  Even though I was diagnosed before I read the book, I still was able to gain a lot of good and useful knowledge.

     A great, informative book that everyone should read!

No comments:

Post a Comment